Caring about the Environment
We recycle as much as possible and encourage our guests to do the same. Recycling information is given to guests in the cottage handbooks.
We purchase bamboo and recycled paper toilet rolls from Who Gives a Crap? Who make all of their products with environmentally friendly materials. They also donate 50% of their profits to help build toilets for those in need - roughly 40% of the world’s population don’t have access to a toilet. To date they have donated $1.8m Aussie dollars (the equivalent of over £1,000,000!) to charity and saved a heck of a lot of trees, water and energy. As they say, not bad for a toilet paper company! You can read about Who Gives a Crap here.
We buy our soaps and shower gels from Arran Aromatics, a 28-year old company based on the Isle of Arran. They include the following in their policies
- They share their customers, and indeed the public’s, concern over ingredients used in cosmetic and toiletry products and ensure that all ingredients used in their products are of the highest quality and are safe for their intended purpose. To ensure that they continue to meet this policy objective, all of the ingredients used are subject to a regular review of their usage.
- All their formulations are free from animal ingredients with the exception of bee products (honey, beeswax etc.) and are suitable for use by vegetarians.
- None of their formulations have been tested on animals.
- They endeavour to use natural or naturally derived ingredients where possible without compromising safety and effectiveness of their products.
- Where required to maintain product safety and integrity, low levels of preservatives are used.
- All products they currently manufacture are paraben free.
- The palm oil they purchase for liquid products is derived from a RSPO (round table on sustainable palm oil) approved sustainable supply.
- The Palm Oil used in their traditional vegetable derived opaque soaps is currently derived from a certified sustainable source.
- The Palm Oil used in their translucent soaps is currently derived from sources that may contain a mix of sustainable and non-sustainable sourced palm oils. However, they are working to secure a continuous supply of sustainable palm oil that meets our future requirements.
- They do not use plastic microbeads as scrub agents in any of their products, but instead use natural based scrub agents.
Find out more about Arran products
We are in the process of changing our cleaning products to more environmentally friendly materials, including those manufactured by Ecover, whose products are made to be effective and have the absolute minimum effect on the environment. They're based on sustainable plant and mineral ingredients, chosen to work well and limit the chemicals in the home and the environment. All Ecover products originate from the world's first ecological factory, which has a 6,000m2 green roof.